The Redoutensäle and Joseph Square
Once the Court Theatre and the Wintcrreitschule (Winter Riding Hall) had been built, there was no longer any need for Burnacini’s theatre. Between 1744. and 1748 it was converted according to plans by Jean-Nicolas Jadot into a large and a small ballroom, the Redoutensâle. A decade later, Maria Theresa’s preferred architect, Nikolaus Pacassi, received a commission to renovate them for the wedding of the heir to the throne, Joseph II.
Pacassi was also given the job of renovating the Court Library, because the domed building had settled dangerously due to weak foundations. From 1769, Pacassi also focused on the completion of Joseph’s Square, which was finally finished by Franz Anton Hillebrand in 1776. This strictly symmetrical square is considered one of the loveliest in Vienna. In order to provide additional space for the Court Library, the Augustinian Wing was added on the southeast, concealing the Church of the Augustinian Friars behind its façade.
Linder Empress Maria Theresa the Hofapotheke (Imperial Court Pharmacy) was installed in the Stallburg. The art collection that had been housed there by Emperor Charles VI was moved to the Obéré Belvedere (Upper Belvedere Palace) in 1776. The remaining towers of the old fortress were torn down (the south tower had previously been demolished by Joseph I). Two stairways were built (the Botschaftersriege and the Saulenstiegc, the Ambassador’s and Pillar Staircases, respectively). Because a Swiss Guard kept watch at the gateway to the oldest part of the Hofburg from 1748 to 1767, the names Schweizerhof (Swiss Court) and Schweizcrtrakt (Swiss Wing) have been used ever since. Joseph II (1741-1790} opened the Augarten and the Prater to the public and shifted the focus of new construction from his residence to public facilities, such as the All- gemeines Krankenhaus (General Hospital). His apartments in the Leopoldine Wing were furnished with far less magnificence than those of his mother, which were parallel to them. Here he built the “Controllorgang” (Inspector’s Corridor) and held his audiences, which were open to the public, on the mezzanine floor.
CONTINUE READING- PART 4- The Congress of Vienna and the Gardens